28.9.09

This play has gotten old (and the acting sucks anyway. )

I've started this blog a half dozen times already, but my finger keeps finding the backspace.

I don't why it's so hard to articulate these thoughts that are bouncing aimlessly around in my head...but it's becoming increasingly difficult to sort them out.

Basically, I'm disappointed in the church.

I don't know where it went so wrong, but somehow church has gone from what it should be, (a loving, accepting environment the welcomes and includes) to a harsh, judgemental, exclusive club where the only ones accepted are those who fit perfectly into the box created by Christian culture.

We have our cheesy t-shirts, our charismatic conventions, our pipe organ loving counterparts who still think that guitars and drums are from the devil.


Anything outside of what we consider normal or correct is quite obviously wrong...sinful even.

My personal favorite is when the word sinner is directly applied to only those who do not attend church. Obviously, it could not apply to Christians. Us, sinners? No, of course not!

Oh, please! Quit pretending. Quit acting like perfect little Jesus freaks. This play has gotten old. The acting sucks anyway. Can we for once just honestly admit that we mess up just as much as the next person? This masquerade has gone on long enough, and I believe it is almost entirely to blame for the widely accepted negative view of the Christianity. We have earned this disdain...this bitterness toward anything affiliated with Christ, God, or religion.

A wise friend of mine once told me that humility is the only thing that sets Christians apart from anyone else. I don't know if I agree with him that it's the ONLY thing....but it certainly should be one of the biggest aspects of a Christians character.

The Christians that I admire the most...the ones that I aspire to be more like.....are the ones who are honest. The ones who don't pretend to have it all together. The ones who don't hide behind a false happiness every Sunday morning, know all the hymns by heart (without taking any of them to heart), the ones who sit attentively, hearing the message but not listening, then leave, dodging what handshakes and happy greetings they can to return to the life they live the rest of the week.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is if you have been hurt or disappointed or labeled by someone who associates themselves with the church...I know how you feel. I too have felt the sting of Christian "love." I've recently discovered just how bitter I am towards the church in general. I'm working on it...trying to get past it.

I can only say that there are genuine Christ followers out there. I've met them. They are the ones who have inspired me, cultivated my own fatih. The ones who really do care. My parents...various youth pastors and leaders and friends. They are out there. And I hope and pray that you will meet them...and recognize the true passion they have to live a life filled with love and to genuinely model Christ's example.

They wont be perfect.

But they will be real.






7 comments:

  1. Yes, I know how you feel. I've been hurt many times over the years by my "loving" church family. I guess it is so easy to get hurt because we expect so much more from church people. That is when I have to remind myself that church is a hospital for sinners. We may not be able to change them, but we can pray for them and then forgive them. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you read the bible? which one do you follow? King James Version? do you read the old testament or new testament?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do...I like read several different versions like King James, NIV, the Message, and ESV. Both the old and new testament.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm cool i have so many questions will discuss some time laterz..been busy didnt get time to blog ..finally did another post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your comments on The Church. I agree there are things wrong with the church. I pray that God will continue to work with Church leaders to improve things in His house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, glad to have met you here. I concur with all you've posted. Christians ARE sinners, but saved by grace, and then the Bible calls us saints, again by grace. We are no saints, considering the fact that we fail in so many ways. We're all a work in progress. I've followed you, you're welcome to visit my blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'A wise friend of mine once told me that humility is the only thing that sets Christians apart from anyone else.'

    Hmm..I think the Steven Weinberg quote has always held a lot of truth: '“Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing bad things, but for good people to do bad things, it takes religion.”

    ReplyDelete